Thursday, April 3, 2008

Don't Come on Down, Stacey Harper!

This week I attended a small team meeting in Los Angeles with the Western 1/2 of the the work team I am a part of. While my job is like most, far from perfect at any given time, they do throw me a bone once in a while to be sure I'm still interested. So, this week we not only went to opening day at the Los Angeles Dodgers game, but we also talked my boss in to a trip to watch a taping of THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!

OHMIGAWD - it was so much fun. We had to wait for several hours amongst the typical Price is Right crowd, which made for some superb people-watching. Once we got in the whole experience was quite surreal. First of all, the Price Is Right set was VERY small, I'm guessing the auditorium only fit about 200 people (which isn't very many for a "theater" sort of setting). Secondly - it was super dingy and not glamorous at all, very 1970's-ish. On the plus side, as we all took our seats they were playing great music to get everyone's energy up. Before ya knew it I found myself dancing next to my dancing boss to "I Will Survive" and the Jackson 5.

Now - as the taping began, let me just say I was so completely convinced that I was going to be called up to be a contestant. Afterall I was looking pretty cute that particular day, the interviewer seemed to be very friendly with me and I am a fairly well-spoken individual with a funny joke to crack once in a while. It was really hard to hear the names being called though, so every time they called a name I was so worried that I didn't hear my name (because of course they were going to call me up!) and that I would look stupid not reacting to my own name being called. Well, lo and behold we made it through the whole hour of taping and they didn't call me up (they didn't realize what they were missing out on with that choice), which is probably a good thing because my knowledge of the Price is Right is very limited and I would've put way too much consideration into the guesses on the pricing of items.

All-in-all the taping was super fun to go to. Our group of 5 was definitely the most conservatively dressed group this show has ever seen in their audience (we were donning business-casual from our meetings earlier in the day). The people-watching was amazing, which included an apparently low-income cross-dresser hugging Drew Carey during one of the commercial brakes. Drew Carey was a great host, he was talking to the crowd during commercial brakes, cracking jokes and singing, etc. He really did seem like a very nice guy.

To cap off the evening we ate at the Maggiano's right across the street from the CBS studios and apparently Queen Latifah stopped by while we were there, but didn't stay for dinner because her dinner companion was a vegan and so they needed to go somewhere else for food. We really didn't have any celebrity spottings, but the inside scoop is that Ryan Seacrest has recently invested in butt implants - I was searching for him everywhere we went so I could check out his new butt!!

Anyways - it did occur to me that it is pretty fun to watch tapings of shows you enjoy (not that The Price is Right is my favorite show), so maybe we'll try to go see Ellen or something the next time we're there! Oh, and I did get a picture or two of me wearing my name tag and in line outside of the studio, but I can't figure out how to get the photos from my cell phone to my computer. If I figure it out I'll edit this post and add them.

PS - The show we attended is being "aired" on April 30th, for those of you that have time to watch game shows during the day (I'm the cute one in the pink shirt towards the back of the audience!)...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I dig the title dude.

Leslie said...

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. I waited all day for a call from Jim saying he'd won a prize. But no, didn't happen. That's OK, we probably couldn't afford the tax on a BRAND NEW CAR!!

Glad you all had fun. Wish I could have been there!