Wednesday, March 5, 2008

It's The End of a Lambeau Era

May all cheeseheads unite in our grief and sorrow to see Mr. Brett Favre make the decision to end his career with the Packers. To say that there is a depression amongst Packer-lovers everywhere is an understatement. I'm not going to list off all of Favre's stats, records, amazing accomplishments, etc - those are being broad-casted across most airwaves and frequencies to a point at which we should all know them by heart.

I was reading the USA Today this morning and it mentioned that most high-schoolers in Wisconsin know of no other quarterback. Quite honestly, I haven't seen another quarterback start for the Packers since I was a sophomore in high school (god, that was a long time ago). I really have no recollection of any other quarterback at good ol' Lambeau Field. His energy and excitement for the game will surely be missed throughout Green Bay and Wisconsin.

It is clear that the Packers, Favre and Wisconsin were a menageatois made in heaven and it will be some time before Wisconsinites everywhere feel anywhere close to "normal" again. I do know that many of you think that the Wisconsin "normal" is not the same "normal" that the rest of the country identifies with, and you're probably right, but believe me - I'm proud to be a part of that group.

I did have the pleasure to grieve a bit with a fellow cheesehead this week and I did hear grumblings of a small Wisconsin town in which a funeral home is planning to partner up with a local bar to host a memorial service for our dear "Favre who art in heaven".

Kate was even upset to hear the news. Here are some before and after the news pictures:












Rest in peace, my friend, you will be missed.

Oh, and Brett - in case you're reading this, I haven't forgotten when you and I met at the Milwaukee Country Club in the summer of '97 and if you'd still like to "hang out later" just let me know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leslie said...

Even though I am not a cheesehead, I have always loved watching Brett. If the Broncos weren't playing them (or the Chiefs recently, current fan by default), I always rooted for the Packers. And to be honest, the only reason I was rooting for them was because of Brett. He was an amazing athlete (to say the least), but his love for the game is what drew me in the most.

I think the last of the QBs that I remember as a young fan are now gone. Everyone ages and moves on, but it will be really sad to not see him on the field this season.

Mostly Stacey said...

I just realized that I forgot to mention that I've met Brett before - I've got to go back and edit the post!!